The Alliance for Strong Families and Communities is currently accepting nominations for the 2018 Samuel Gerson Nordlinger Child Welfare Leadership Award.
This award will recognize an individual who has made exceptional contributions to enhancing child and family well-being. We are looking someone who has provided exemplary leadership to the child welfare field, national public policy, and the Alliance. This award, which honors the memory of Colonel Samuel Gerson Nordlinger, was established by his wife Sarah Haines Nordlinger and their family.
Nominations are due via email by Friday, May 18, 2018.
The award recipient must be affiliated with an Alliance member organization, but he or she may be serving at any level. Any staff member from the Alliance member organization may nominate individuals for this award.
Submit a nomination letter (no more than five pages), along with letters of support from two colleagues (not including the person making the nomination). The nomination letter should include the following:
- How the individual has addressed disparities in the child welfare system and worked to advance equity
- How the individual has advanced prevention efforts within his or her organization and across systems and sectors
- How the individual has advanced the integration of brain science research into organizational culture, practices and policies, and within external systems
- How the individual has engaged in unique and innovative efforts to address the complex issues facing families
- How the individual has improved outcomes for children, youth, and families as well as impacted their lives through regional or national advocacy
- How the individual has increased his or her organization’s effectiveness and credibility within the child welfare field
- How the individual has taken a leadership role and actively participated in the Alliance for Strong Families and Communities
In addition, submit three photos of the individual and/or videos that can be used in the awards presentation, should the nominee be selected.
Although not required, additional materials may be submitted, including newspaper articles, printed materials, and testimonial letters. The winning nomination will be selected based on the nomination letter, not the supporting materials.
How to Submit Nominations
Nominations must be submitted via email by Friday, May 18.
Send all nominations to Jennifer Jones, director of Change in Mind Institute at the Alliance.
Award Selection and Presentation
The Alliance National Conference Awards Committee, comprised of past Alliance award winners and Alliance staff, will review all nominations and select the award recipient. Nominators will be informed of the decision by June 11. The award will be presented Tuesday, Oct. 16 during the 2018 Alliance National Conference in Denver.
The award winner will receive the following:
- One registration for the 2018 Alliance National Conference
- Airfare to the 2018 Alliance National Conference
- Two-night stay at the Hilton Denver City Center
- $1,000 cash award
- Engraved crystal award
- National recognition through the Alliance website, Alliance E-News, and Alliance Policy Radar e-newsletter
- Outreach toolkit to assist in communications
Direct questions to Jennifer Jones, director of the Change in Mind Institute, at 414-335-0621.