Do you ever feel overwhelmed or frustrated by the food you have on hand, at times feeling like there’s nothing there to make a healthy meal? Or, are you looking for new and interesting ways to show the individuals in your community how to build expertise in healthy eating, meal planning, budgeting, or successfully navigating the grocery store?
To support these efforts, the Alliance for Strong Families and Communities provides all members with free access to Healthy For Life®, an online portal from the American Heart Association (AHA). This one-stop shop provides:
- A library of educational experiences
- A complete health and wellness curriculum
- Downloadable guides
- Printable handouts
- Videos in English and Spanish
The easy-to-follow tips, resources, and videos provide Alliance members will a full suite of health and wellness content and resources that are ready to share with community members.
This community health engagement model was developed by the American Heart Association and Aramark, a longtime Alliance partner. Based on AHA’s proven science, the curriculum was piloted and found to be effective in achieving positive behavior change among program participants by five Alliance members. Over the last year, almost a dozen participating Alliance members have seen additional positive results by using the educational experiences. Participants are reporting a growing confidence in their ability to identify, prepare and consume healthy food for themselves and their families.
Dig into the Curriculum
The Grocery Shopping Tools and Resources module, which is one of three core modules available, provides education and resources related to:
- Heart-healthy and budget friendly food choices at the grocery store
- Comparisons of fresh versus frozen versus canned fruit and veggie options
- Signage and pricing at the store
- Grocery store tours and guides
- Shopping checklists that help maximize seasonal produce options
- Easy to follow weekly meal plans and shopping lists
- Pantry stocking tips with heart-healthy options
- Optimal storage of different items in your kitchen
These user-friendly resources can be used in community-based programs, workplace wellness programs, or to build your personal or family’s health and wellness knowledge.
Download the free educational experiences from the Healthy for Life online portal to help yourself and others build the skills and knowledge to cook and eat healthy foods.