Since 2007, Aramark and the Alliance for Strong Families and Communities have partnered to help communities thrive by bringing resources to the local level and cultivating strong relationships. Aramark’s global volunteer and philanthropic program, Aramark Building Community, enriches and nourishes lives by partnering with local community centers and sharing resources to inspire families to lead healthy lifestyles and help people succeed through education and employment.
The goals of the partnership are to:
- Foster long-term relationships between Aramark and local community centers through year-round, meaningful volunteer experiences
- Leverage Aramark’s expertise to make an impact in the areas of workforce readiness and health and wellness
- Recognize excellence in community leadership through the Aramark Building Community Organizational Leadership Award
- Promote Healthy For Life 20 by 20, an innovative approach to community health engagement that empowers people to make healthy food, nutrition, and lifestyle choices by leveraging the science and expertise of the American Heart Association (AHA), combined with the experience of Aramark volunteers, dietitians, and chefs
Health and Wellness Resources
To support community-based health and wellness efforts, the Alliance provides all members with free access to Healthy For Life®, an online portal from AHA, developed in partnership with Aramark. This one-stop shop provides:
- A library of educational experiences
- A complete health and wellness curriculum
- Downloadable facilitator guides
- Printable handouts
- Supplemental videos in English and Spanish
The easy-to-follow tips, resources, and videos provide Alliance members will a full suite of health and wellness content and resources that are ready to share with community members.
Based on AHA’s proven science, the curriculum was piloted and found to be effective in achieving positive behavior change among program participants by five Alliance members. Almost a dozen participating Alliance members have seen additional positive results by using the educational experiences. Participants are reporting a growing confidence in their ability to identify, prepare, and consume healthy food for themselves and their families.
Aramark Building Community grants support collaboration between local Aramark volunteers and organizations in the Alliance network by helping to fund boots-on-the-ground programs that advance our work to improve the health, wellness, and employment success of families.
Alliance members are encouraged to take advantage of these free resources. To learn more, access the:
Aramark Building Community Organizational Leadership Award
The Aramark Building Community Organizational Leadership Award (formerly known as the Peter B. Goldberg Aramark Building Community Executive Leadership Award) honors one exceptional high-impact organization that is driving a culture of population health and well-being within its community. The focus of this award is to identify an organization that is a true change agent, one that elevates its staff and communities in leadership, manifesting itself in a more equitable approach, sustained community change, and measurable improvement in population health and well-being. The award winner is recognized at national events and receives speaking opportunities, promotional tools, and a $15,000 grant.
Aramark Building Community
In underserved communities, health disparities, unemployment, and underemployment continue to grow and contribute to critical social problems. Through the global volunteer program Aramark Building Community, Aramark and the Alliance address these important needs by building partnerships with local community centers and engaging the skills and expertise of Aramark employee volunteers.
In partnership with the Alliance and our network of social service organizations around the country, Aramark builds strong, local relationships with community centers that create meaningful volunteer opportunities for its employees.
Aramark employees connect with community centers building strong, sustainable relationships to meet the ongoing needs of the neighborhood:
- Chefs and dietitians teach the relationship between diet and wellness, extending Aramark’s Healthy For Life™ commitment to support families
- Human resources professionals link adults and teens with information and hands-on training to prepare them to find and keep good jobs
- Employees partner with community centers to create safe, efficient, inspiring environments
- Employees donate basic necessities like food and clothing for families in need and improve community centers to make them more inspiring places for families to gather
Additionally, the global day of service Aramark Building Community Day (ABC Day) celebrates and highlights this year-round effort. Thousands of employees come together in cities around the world, demonstrating our commitment to enrich and nourish lives. On this one day alone, in 2018, more than 12,000 employees volunteered in nearly 450 projects around the world.
Aramark (NYSE: ARMK) proudly serves Fortune 500 companies, world champion sports teams, state-of-the-art healthcare providers, the world’s leading educational institutions, iconic destinations and cultural attractions, and numerous municipalities in 19 countries around the world. Our 270,000 team members deliver experiences that enrich and nourish millions of lives every day through innovative services in food, facilities management and uniforms. We operate our business with social responsibility, focusing on initiatives that support our diverse workforce, advance consumer health and wellness, protect our environment, and strengthen our communities. Aramark is recognized as one of the World’s Most Admired Companies by FORTUNE, as well as an employer of choice by the Human Rights Campaign and DiversityInc. Learn more on the Aramark website or connect on Facebook and Twitter.