Posted: May 6, 2013
Updated: April 29, 2015
Welcome to Families in Society Online ("FIS Online"), the electronic publication sites of Families in Society: The Journal of Contemporary Social Services, published by the Alliance for Strong Families and Communities (“Publisher”). FIS Online includes these websites: http://www.familiesinsociety.org, http://alliance1.org, and http://familiesinsocietyjournal.org.
Mobile Site Supplemental Terms.
Skip to a section:
Authorized User Types
“Subscriber” is defined as either of the following:
- An individual who purchases an electronic subscription to full-text content or accesses limited-use content (such as a revolving collection of free articles) on FIS Online.
- An institution which purchases an electronic subscription to full-text content or accesses limited-use content (such as a revolving collection of free articles) on FIS Online for purposes of facilitating access for Authorized Users via an Authorized Site (see below).
“Authorized User” is defined as any of the following:
- An individual who holds a valid personal electronic subscription.
- An individual who is a current employee, student, faculty member, alumnus, or on-site library patron affiliated with an institutional Subscriber and is authorized, via the individual’s affiliation, to access FIS Online content through a secure network or proxy server (subject to the terms and conditions detailed below) at a Subscribing institution.
- An individual who is a member of an association or society that has arranged for access to FIS Online content for its current members.
- An individual who has purchased access to a single article on FIS Online, and who accesses that article for personal use within the allotted timeframe.
- An individual who has registered for an account on FIS Online for general purposes of enrolling in reader services such as alerting, saved searches, and access to limited-use content (such as a revolving collection of free articles).
“Authorized Site” is defined as the following:
- A single physical property of an institution containing one or multiple buildings, with an unlimited number of Authorized Users accessing from any point within the institution via a secure server.
- A remote campus is considered a separate entity and would either require its own electronic subscription, or the institution could obtain a multisite license for all its physical properties or campuses. (Contact the Publisher at the below address for multisite license assistance.) Access via proxy servers is allowed, so long as users are authenticated by the Subscriber's secure server as Authorized Users affiliated with that property or campus. Distance learners must be authenticated via proxy by the property or campus holding the subscription.
For institutional electronic subscriptions at an Authorized Site, the Subscriber’s online access includes authorization by means of the Subscriber’s valid IP address(es), and allows site-wide access by Authorized Users. Only the IP address(es) provided by the Subscriber will have access to FIS Online content and must be registered to activate an electronic subscription. If a proxy server is being registered for access, the Subscriber agrees to maintain the security of the access by authenticating Authorized Users before allowing use of the proxy to any remote or on-site user.
Other than usage permitted by Section 107 or 108 of the U.S. Copyright Law, FIS Online content may be accessed only by Authorized Users. Beyond that detailed in these Terms, other use is prohibited without express permission from the Publisher.
a. Authorized Users may view, download, print, or save FIS Online content for the purposes of research or private study and not for Commercial Use or distributive purposes.
b. Subscribers who provide institutional access to Authorized Users may supply to an Authorized User of a different library a copy of an individual document being part of FIS Online content by post, fax, or electronic transmission via the Internet or otherwise, for the purposes of research or private study and not for Commercial Use or distributive purposes.
c. Subscriber account numbers are provided to Subscribers for their personal use only. Usernames and passwords cannot be shared without the Publisher's permission.
d. An institutional Subscriber may store FIS Online content for purely archival purposes and may make such local electronic copies by means of caching (or mirrored storage) of all or part of the purchased FIS Online content as are necessary solely to ensure efficient use by Authorized Users and not to make available to Authorized Users duplicate copies of the material; or to otherwise store or permit Authorized Users to store FIS Online content on any medium; or to transfer, reproduce, modify, publish, or otherwise exploit this subscription.
e. Systematic downloading (by robots or other automatic processes) is prohibited without explicit Publisher approval. No content from FIS Online may be used for service bureau redistribution, or public document delivery or repository services.
Perpetual Access to Annual Volumes
As of the 2013 volume, an electronic subscription to FIS Online grants the Subscriber access to content published during the paid-for term. If the subscription lapses, the former Subscriber retains access to volumes/years expressly paid for post 2013.
FIS Online is subject to copyright, database protection, and other rights of the Publisher under the laws of the United States and the country of use. The Subscriber and its Authorized Users acknowledge that they shall claim no ownership by reason of their use of or access to FIS Online. Downloading of data is permitted solely for Subscriber’s internal use to the same extent as the printed version of the publication. Recompiling, publication, or republication of content, in any form, may be done only with specific permission from the Publisher via the Copyright Clearance Center. For the avoidance of doubt, the Subscriber may not incorporate all or any part of FIS Online content in Course Packs and Electronic Reserve collections without the prior written permission of the Publisher via the Copyright Clearance Center.
Disclaimer of Warranties
THE PUBLISHER WILL MAKE REASONABLE EFFORTS TO ENSURE THAT FIS ONLINE CONTENT IS COMPLETE AND ACCURATE. HOWEVER, THE PUBLISHER DOES NOT WARRANT COMPLETENESS OR ACCURACY, AND DOES NOT WARRANT THAT SUBSCRIBER’S ACCESS TO FIS ONLINE WILL BE UNITERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE, OR THAT THE RESULTS OBTAINED WILL BE USEFUL OR WILL SATISFY SUBSCRIBER’S REQUIREMENTS.EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY PROVIDED IN THESE TERMS, THE PUBLISHER MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, WARRANTIES OF DESIGN, MERCHANTABILITY, OR FITNESS OF USE FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.THE PUBLISHER WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DELAY, DOWN TIME, OR OTHER FAILURE OF PERFORMANCE, BUT THE PUBLISHER WILL MAKE REASONALBLE EFFORTS TO CORRECT ANY PERFORMANCE PROBLEM BROUGHT TO ITS ATTENTION.THE PUBLISHER WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICE OR MATERIALS PROVIDED HEREUNDER.
Subscriber shall not assign or transfer its rights under these Terms. All rights not specifically granted to the Subscriber or Authorized User are reserved to the Publisher. Violation of the Terms will result in immediate suspension or termination of access to FIS Online.
If you seek permission for additional rights to content on FIS Online, or have general questions, please contact the Publisher:
Director of Editorial Services
Alliance for Strong Families and Communities
National Operations Center
648 N. Plankinton Ave., Suite 425
Milwaukee, WI 53203
Contact via e-mail.