Northern Virginia Family Service
Listing Start Date
Listing End Date
The Career Navigator will create opportunities for a high-barrier population to obtain gainful & stable employment, conduct outreach to identify appropriate work opportunities for clients, & build mutually beneficial relationships with employers. This position will work one-on-one with clients through a trauma-informed, asset-based approach to identify opportunities for clients to move towards employment & with volunteers to organize & conduct necessary employment-related supports for clients including but not limited to: one-on-one job searches, resume reviews, mock interviews & professional development workshops. A successful Career Navigator will build collaborative relationships across Shelter staff to ensure a team approach & a high-level of support for all shelter guests.
Essential Job Duties:
• Identify businesses and conduct outreach with employers based on the specific job needs of clients; Build and maintain relationships with employers to understand job specification and work culture.
• Refer appropriate client candidates to potential employers for consideration for job openings.
• Build strong partnerships with clients through one-on-one job counseling sessions using an asset based approach with the goal of moving clients toward employment. Process may include but not limited to:
o Understand and assess client skills, past work experience and background.
o Match client skill set with available job opportunities.
o Assist clients in job search and application process.
• Coordinate community and corporate volunteer groups to conduct job support activities for clients including but not limited to job searches, resume reviews, mock interviews and professional development workshops on various employment topics.
• Identify and build relationships with existing community resources to support clients’ job success.
• Maintain records of client progress and participation.
• Participate in regular supervision with Program Director and Career Navigator team.
• Maintain client files in accordance with program requirements and NVFS guidelines.
• Maintain current level of knowledge of curriculum content, program software, and other information on job development programs and initiatives.
Qualification Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university preferred.
• At least two (2) years’ experience in related field such as coaching, adult education, workforce development or outreach and proven success building relationships with the corporate community.
• Experience serving high-barrier populations or non-English speaking and low literacy adults.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
• Successful completion of background checks is required upon hire.
• May be called upon to work beyond normal working hours.
All NVFS employees are expected to demonstrate the organizational values and sensitivity to the diversity of the organization’s client base.
This description is intended to describe the essential job functions and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements of a person so classified.
Northern Virginia Family Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer and E-Verify participant.
How to Apply
Please click on our link to browse our current openings and apply for any that interest you. You will receive an email confirmation of your application. The Hiring Manager will contact you directly to schedule an interview if your qualifications and experience appear to be a suitable match and you are selected for an interview. If you do not see a position that is right for you at this time, we hope you will revisit us to learn about future opportunities.