The Alliance for Strong Families and Communities recently honored its member Branches, based in Miami, with the 2018 Alliance Commitments Award for Investing in Capacity to advance Economic Opportunity. This award recognizes organizations that exemplify the best of the sector through mastery of the Alliance’s Commitments of High-Impact Nonprofit Organizations and achievement of lasting change with children, families, adults, and communities.
In recognizing that it needed new and unrestricted dollars to invest in capacity and innovation, Branches has been steadily diversifying its funding base. Less than two decades ago, the organization raised very few unrestricted dollars; however, it now raises well over a million dollars each year from individual and private foundations.
Increased capacity has helped Branches expand or deepen the reach of its Achieve Programs, which help adults attain specific milestones related financial stability. Through education and coaching, these programs help them increase their income, build savings, grow assets and reduce their debts. Expansion of these programs includes:
- Since 2014, Branches has led the Free VITA Tax Preparation program in Miami-Dade County
- Since 2016, ASSETS has been responding to requests from micro-business owners for more personalized business coaching, providing more individualized services
- Since 2017, financial coaching has been integrated into the services delivered to high school students; age-appropriate financial education lessons are also included in the curricula for elementary and middle school students
Among Branches results:
- 100 percent of micro-business who participate in business coaching achieve their goals
- 4 out of 5 adults working on their credit have increased their scores
- 2 out of 3 adults working on their money management skills are implementing a new monthly spending and savings plan